This blog documents the work - in - progress of Spring Awakening, a theatrical performance about adolescence in the context of contemporary Egypt.

Performance dates: 01. – 06.04.2010 Rawabet Theatre, Cairo / 09.,10.04.2010 Jesuit Centre, Alexandria.


January 21, 2010

along the way

"Of course I know how it works, don´t you or why are you asking?" (Maisa, 15)
"A girl who is brave has no fear driving the Tuk Tuk." (Mostafa, 16)
"I thought it was a desease, when I saw the mark at my uniform." (Mey, 14)
"I´m bored here. If I get married, I´ll do the same, but at least in another village." (Basma, 18)
"Some sit in the Internet Cafe 24h, watching." (Mostafa, 16)
"A good girl would beat the boy if he became rude." (Maisa, 15)
"Everyone around me got engaged. I would have been alone at school." (Seham, 16)
"I like the of show of sheikh Mohammed Hassaan, the social programs, the ones about marriage" (Maisa, 15)
"Doesn´t she know what haram is?" (Basma, 18) haram (forbidden): anything that is prohibited by the faith such as certain behaviours, language, objects or food.


Mostafa (16), Seham (16), Amal (17), Maisa (15)

(video coming soon)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe mousakka from Ezbet Elkerdany

- 4 medium sized eggplants
- 10 tomatoes
- 5 onions
- vinegar
- flour
- oil

peel eggplants, soak them in vinegar and salt. dry short,
then roll in flour and fry in oil until golden. steam onions and tomatoes,
layer with eggplants in casserole and put for 30min. in wooden fired oven.
finished.

No comments: